Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mama's House

The anticipation to see Mama has been so great.  I have not visited her in almost 2 years while battling this disease.  As Bill and I planned our trip to Miami, I was on an all time high.  I was feeling very good, quite cocky I might add.  I assumed nothing could hurt me!  I packed sun hats, sun block, sandals, all South Florida essentials!  Just as an after thought Bill mentioned he better pack the thermometer, so I also added my RX of Cipro.  Of course, I would not need them, just the Boy Scout motto, Bill said, "Be Prepared!"  To tell you the truth, I hated the thought of packing them, it made me seem "not well.........."

Oh did I mention, I developed a "slight" cough a few days before we left for Miami.  I assumed it was the effect of our South Carolina pollen we get every Spring.  We arrived in Miami on a Thursday afternoon and all seemed okay.  My brother Brent and his wife Sandra were flying in from Texas on Friday and my brother Brian and his wife Ann lived just minutes from Mama.  I was looking forward to our time together.

I felt extra tired on Friday and my cough was getting worse, still was doing okay though.  On Saturday, I told Bill I was not feeling well, took my temperature and oops, had a fever.  Bill called the Cancer Center and was told to start me on the Cipro.  On Sunday, Mama was preparing what she calls a "Surf and Turf" dinner for everyone including Champagne!  Oh my, my world fell apart that afternoon!  I got really sick, vomiting and diarrhea.  In came the artillery, Sandra and Ann.  Bill called the Cancer Center again and they ordered more drugs to combat the new symptoms.  Sandra got the bucket and cold cloth for my head, Ann kept Mama busy in the kitchen (I said I did not want Mama to see me sick) and Bill went off to CVS for the drugs!  I guess my brothers just said, "What???  We might as well have a beer!"  While the Phenergan suppository and Lomitil did its thing, the dinner went on for the rest of my family.  I came out of the bedroom after a couple of hours feeling better.  I did try a few bites of the Prime Rib, mashed potatoes and fresh green beans, very little, no Champagne, boo hoo!  Here is a picture of the dinner I missed.
Brian, Ann and Allen with the "star" lobster!
Here is a picture of me and Mama after I spent a few hours in bed!  Wish I had Mama's tenacious attitude, I seem to crumble when it is crunch time!  I must say, if you are going to be sick, there is no place but Mama's house where everything is okay!

 We left for home the next day, long, long journey.  I am doing better and my call to the Cancer Center assured me that this type of illness is quite common for a patient only 8 months since stem cell transplant.  They said until I am approximately a year and a half from transplant, I need to be extra careful.  Frequent hand washing, wear my mask when in doubt, but don't necessarily need to live in a bubble.

To tell you the truth, I am just a little gun shy right now.  I just came back from CVS and the grocery store so I wore my mask both times.  I truly know God is in charge.  I feel like I just had my Queen taken in a chess game!  This illness put me back a notch or two!  But, I know with prayers and taking it easy for a little while longer, this girl will be back laughing about this in no time.

All in all, I would not trade the trip to see my Mama, brothers and sisters in law for anything.  I felt so good giving away some more of my watercolors.  My brother Brian (I was surprised), chose as one of his paintings, "The Girl in the Blue Dress."  I have used it as my picture in my blog.

Time will heal all my ills, He just told me to have patience.  Love to all my readers. I hope this brightens your day when you are feeling down, patience and prayers to you all.

1 comment:

  1. So very, very glad you could see the family in Miami. I know just the feel of your arms around your mom was wonderful! And your brothers and wives was icing on the cake. Things like symptoms just make it ragged, don't they? I'm sure you were a big blessing to all of them, and those moments will stand out in all your thoughts over the years to come. Love you both, Glenda and Bill!

    ReplyDelete