Saturday, September 22, 2012

"Someone Else's Star"

Just when you think, YEA, finally everything is going in my favor, BOOM, another roadblock gets in your way.  I went to the oncologist on Monday, Sept. 17th for lab work and a check up.  I have been feeling good except for occasional fatigue, so when my oncologist called me in person instead of the nurse, that same afternoon, I knew something was up.  He told me he wanted to re-check my labs on Friday, Sept. 21st, because my Neutrophil (NE) count was 0.6 (too low) and my Lymphocyte (LY) count was 67.1 (too high).  Okay, not sure what that meant but I do whatever he recommends.  So back we went on Friday for the lab re-check.  The numbers were exactly the same.  He said he needed to give my bone marrow a "bump."  This is done with an injection of Neupogen (I've had this many times in the past, so I am familiar with the side effects).  The Neupogen is needed to stimulate the bone marrow which will stimulate my white blood cells.  Remember the Neutrophil count above, well that is my "infection fighters,"  so very important to raise that number.

Now if any of you bloggers are not totally understanding the above, welcome to my club!  Half of what I hear from the doctors and nurses is Greek to me, but my motto is do what they say, they have kept me alive so far and that ain't a bad thing.  And also, did I mention the doctor also told me I am Vitamin D deficient, well no surprise there, I missed the entire summer of sun stuck in a hospital.  I have added "that pill" to my others..........

Hence, the title of my blog is "Someone Else's Star" by country singer Bryan White.  Some of the lyrics go like this......"I guess I must be wishin' on someone else's star.  It seems like someone else keeps getting what I'm wishin' for.  Why can't I be as lucky as those other people are?  I guess I must be wishin' on someone else's star."

That's what happens to me when I am disappointed, I cry over sad songs or I feel the need to shop, usually though it is for socks, bras and things folks usually don't see!

Anyway, I did go shop after the news and the injection yesterday.  You can't see the new bra or socks but you can see the new fleece vest I bought.  My sister-in-law, Joanne, sent me the white blouse and scarf for my birthday.  Aimee gave me the earrings for my birthday.  And, the new black boots I ordered from L.L. Bean arrived yesterday.  I almost forgot, I bought the red wool beret yesterday as well.  Okay, I'm ready for cold weather, bring it on!
And here is the "entire" outfit!
The effects of the Neupogen hit you about 5-6 hours after the injection (at least it does for me.)  Your bones ache so much, especially your large bones like your thighs and hips.  I just take Tylenol but have to get in bed.  Much better this morning, still feel a little tired, but no more shopping for me.  And the down side is I have to wear a surgical mask anytime I am in the grocery store, department store, etc.  until my numbers get a little higher.

I love to listen to songs, even sad ones, but I know that my true healer is God and I am always in his hands and he will carry me even when I can't do it on my own.  Thanks for listening to me ramble, that is part of the healing for me, being able to share my feelings.  God Bless Each One Of You!


No comments:

Post a Comment