Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Keep Trying

Bill and I drove to Greenville Memorial Hospital Monday morning, July 2, 2012.  I was admitted to room 5426.  I will be here approximately 3 weeks for several different phases to complete the Stem Cell Transplant.  The room is nice and large with a beautiful view, lots of trees to see all the birds I love to watch.  I must tell you when we walked into my room, the number 5426 jumped right out at me.  I told Bill it was a lucky number.  He said why and I said, "If you add 5 and 4 together you get the number 9 (which is how old Nathan my grandson is.)  And then the number 6 (is how old my granddaughter Katie is), and the number 2 is for having 2 grandchildren."  I know you think that is a stretch, but remember I'm kinda quirky and think a little out of the box on many things.  I actually think it is not really just a lucky number but God's divine intervention, because every night the first thing I pray for is to live long enough to see my two grandchildren grow up.  I ask for a miracle healing, strength and courage to keep fighting.  Of course I have a litany of other things I pray for as well, can't you just hear God saying, "okay, it's Glenda praying, so it will be a little chatty!"  Here is a picture Bill took of the sign on the Hospital.






Today is July 4, 2012 and the nurse said I should be able to see the fire works out my window towards the downtown Greenville area.  I hope so, I'm looking forward to that.  Happy Independence Day to everyone out there, I hope your day will be filled with joy.

I dressed for the occasion today, with a red/white/blue scarf on my white hat and brought some American flags from home.  Hope you enjoy the picture.


I am coping very well.  The doctors and nurses are marvelous.  I have a PCA pump that is dispensing anti-nausea drugs continuously so I have been able to eat well with out feeling the effects of the chemo.  I will get 2 units of blood today, because my count is low, to be expected.  Also, some magnesium in the IV, it is too low and of course more chemo drugs.  But, hey that is why I am in the hospital to get well and move on to bigger and better things in my future.  So, I say bring it on!

You know how I read lots of quotes and inspirational messages, well the following is in a book I have at home:  The title is KEEP TRYING........When things go wrong And you wanted them right, And you feel like quitting But you have to fight........When disappointments come And you feel like crying, And you want to run away But you have to keep trying.........Remember success Means refusing to quit.  It means you try harder When you're hardest hit.........Your own victory parade, with flags of triumph flying, Will soon march down your street, If you will keep on trying.~~Perry Tanksley~~

I thought this message was right for my blog today, with the mention of flags flying on this beautiful birthday of our country.

Bill brought me so many heartfelt cards yesterday, so many with Blue birds on them, my favorite bird!  Thank you all so much for your continued prayers and support.  I will get through this with the help of God, family and friends.  Life is nothing with out a great support team!  Love you all.

4 comments:

  1. That's what is called "getting your ducks in a row"! Who else would have thought of packing flags, red, white and blue hat, and quotes for this day when going to the hospital!!! Nobody can outdo you, Glenda Weeks!!! As Aimee says, you are our hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me Jean, I am just a "little" bit off the beaten path, so to speak, too organized for my own good sometimes!

      Delete
  2. How about that...flags and all that 4th feeling from your room. Thanks for sharing with us. Imagine being able to do fireworks "ahhhhs....ahhhhhhs" from inside a transplant room! We live in amazing times. You clearly love your grandchildren, and they are a great motivator for you. Love ya. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Carol my grandchildren keep me going. They are my main focus to get well, my children already know me, but I have lots of memories left in me that I want to pass on to my grandchildren, so as I said in my blog, I will "keep trying!" Love you and Lewis; such long time good friends!

      Delete