Friday, July 27, 2012

Dancing With My IV Pole

Okay folks, I was released from the hospital last Thursday, July 19th to our apartment in Greenville.

 I must have been on a "fantasy trip," because I thought okay I am out of the hospital so I will get stronger and better each day.  That thought was definitely a fantasy!  I started eating regular food, after all that is what I ate at the hospital, what was I supposed to know.  My discharge order did not say otherwise.

 We went for our appointment on Friday morning at the Cancer Center for blood work and to get IV fluids.  I told them I was having diarrhea, and that I was using Imodium for relief.  All along I kept eating a regular diet.  We had an appointment at the Greenville Hospital Infusion Center on Saturday for more IV fluids.  At this point I have become a pro at "dancing" with my IV pole back and forth to the bathroom.  We went back on Sunday to the hospital infusion center (these appointments were already scheduled by the cancer center to keep track of my "numbers," etc.)  By the way, each time you go for an appointment the first thing they do is weigh you.  Well, on Sunday, the nurse went a "little crazy."  She said, do you realize you have lost 4 pounds overnight?  Well, no I didn't, but then I was still having lots of diarrhea and it was getting worse and I was starting to feel really awful. She called my stem cell doctor and I was put back on the same medicine I was on in the hospital and she also gave me an extra bag of IV fluids, long day for us.

Then the nurse informed me that I must change my diet to just bananas, applesauce, baked potato, rice, toast, roasted chicken (what not fried!!), absolutely no dairy products!  And to add insult to injury, no caffeine.  My friends and family know that I really, and I mean really do not do well without my morning coffee!

 Needless to say it has been a really stressful week for me.  But, the good news is most of my "numbers" have been going up slowly (which by the way is in the right direction.)  Two days ago the nurse told me to slowly add some regular foods, one at a time and see what happens.  I tried it with yogurt and it was a no go!  So maybe dairy might have to be the last thing I add.  This morning I tried coffee, YIPPEE SKIPPY, no problem!  Today was a day off from the cancer center and the hospital, so Bill and I went up to the pool and stayed for almost 2 hours.  It felt so good to lay on a chaise lounge and feel the filtered sun and nice breeze on my skinny bones.  I can't go in a pool yet, but Bill went swimming and loved it.  We go to the hospital infusion center tomorrow and depending on my hemoglobin number, I might need some blood.  We will pack a lunch, just in case, because it makes for a longer day if I have to receive blood.

Okay, enough of my "lousy" week!  Today has been great, so God has answered my prayers to give me the strength and courage to get through each day.  I have a lovely view out our apartment french door where I have sat for many hours, too fatigued to do anything else.  I love watching all the birds and folks walking their pets.  Michael, there is a lady that walks her "tea cup" chihuahua on a leash, funny to see.  She always waves at me sitting on the sofa.  Here is a picture of the view.  The apartment is very quiet and peaceful.  We are lucky it is in the back so we have this nice view instead of looking at a parking lot!
I won't sugar coat or fib about all I went through last week.  I cried a lot!  Each time I slipped into my "dark corner," my Bill was always there to lift me up with lots of encouraging words and hugs.  My mother already thinks he is a saint, so Mama I think you are right!

One last picture of "My Saint" sitting in a child's easy chair, pulled up to the postage sized TV with the sound turned low, so the noise won't bother me while I sleep.
Thanks everyone for keeping me in your prayers, pray for Bill as well.  I think of everyone often and hope that we will be able to come back to Westminster real soon.  God Bless You All.

2 comments:

  1. Glenda, I admire your courage and attitude so much. Keep it up and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day at the pool is a sign of better days to come for both you and Bill.
    P.S. Wow! Bill must have grown a lot taller since we last saw him (and I don't just mean figuratively).

    ReplyDelete