Saturday, July 7, 2012

"Pufferfish"

Okay, for all the questions about just what High Dose Chemo consists of, here is a list of the chemo drugs I have been receiving for the last 5 days:

One drug is called: Carmustine (brand name BiCNU)
Another is called:  Etoposide (brand name Toposar)
And the third one is called:  Cytarabine (brand name Cytosar)

The chemo drugs are repeated, not sure in what sequence, for 5 days, twice a day, morning and night.
Last night was the last night of chemo.  YEA!  Today is what is called my "Rest Day."  They are giving me potassium and magnesium in my IV to replenish what the chemo takes out.  Along with other fluids. 

I have had issues with fluid retention, hence the title of my blog.  I look like a Pufferfish!  I came in the hospital weighing in at 101.2 lbs.,  and in 3 days I went as high as 115.8 lbs!  I needed to gain weight but not this way.  The doctor ordered the drug Lasix, a diuretic.  They administer it through the IV and believe me within just 10 minutes I am going to the bathroom, and the effects last about 3 hours.  I have had the Lasix four times.  I have become an expert at maneuvering my IV pole to go to the bathroom.  My weight is down to 111.8 as of this morning!  But my eyes are still swollen, no eyelids, and my feet look sorta "pudgy!"  My legs are usually thin, but now resemble table legs!  Oh well, if that is all that happens, I am grateful.  The anti-nausea drugs that are constantly running in my PCA pump, have helped tremendously,  the doctors know what they are doing, thank you God! 

Tomorrow, Sunday, will be what the doctor calls "Day 0,"  the day they infuse me with my own stem cells that were harvested a few weeks ago.  They will start around 2:00 p.m., so I am told, and it will take several hours.  Should not be painful, the harvesting was not painful.  I still believe I am in a "lucky" room.  Room number 5426 (look at my last blog for my reasoning on that number, divine intervention to be sure.)  Here is a picture of the room number!


No pictures of me today, you are not going to see Glenda the "Pufferfish!"  But I do want to post a picture of my true love and the best caregiver anyone could ask for.  We share the computer while I am in the hospital, so I thought I would post a picture of him working.  Time goes by fast for me.  I have lots of things I do.  Cross Stitch, Sudoku, Solitaire, a book I am reading by Stuart Woods called Capital Crimes.  I like mystery type stories.  The TV stays off most of the time, nothing worth watching!


The food here has been very good.  My breakfast this morning was as good as a "Cracker Barrel" breakfast!  I have absolutely no complaints about anything.  I feel like I am in the right place to get completely well.  So by the Grace of God, friends and family I will win this battle.  Love to all my readers.  God Bless you all!

1 comment: