Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chemo Day in Seneca, SC

What a day!  I can say it all in one word exhausting!  We had to be at the cancer center at 8:45 a.m. and we left the center at 4:00 p.m., do you get the picture now?  They started on me right away, with some drugs I had received during the last chemo but, as the nurse said, it has been 2 years since then and it is like we are starting over, great, just the words I wanted to hear.  First they gave me Tylenol, not bad you say, they start with the easy stuff to fool you, ha!  Then comes the Benadryl in the IV, please bring me some strong coffee to fight the drowsiness, nothing like the Benadryl pill folks, way more powerful.  Then in goes some anti-nausea med (nurse said it was a short acting one, I guess they don't want me throwing up on their watch!)  Then I had the following, and I'm sure I missed a few the nurse told me about.  These are not in any particular sequence of delivery, Prednisone, Rituxan, Cytoxan, Vincristine (IV push), Adriamycin (IV push, affectionately called the "Red Devil").  Get this, the nurse, had to wear a protective gown while she gave me the IV push meds, guess that was a clue that this stuff is powerful, hope it does the trick!

Bill and I brought our lunch from home.  I ate very healthy.  I had a Carolina Pride Beef Bologna on Potato bread sandwich and a bag of Cheetos, yum, yum!  Bill had a cup of Ramen chicken noodle soup and a peanut butter, smoked turkey, Swiss cheese on Rye bread sandwich, no chips for him he is watching his weight!

Just when I started to feel better after lunch, here comes more anti-nausea meds in the IV.  The nurse said it was called Emend, I think, anyway she said this was a longer-lasting drug, guess they don't want to be responsible for me throwing up in our car on the ride home.  Here we go, drowsy again!

I have to give Bill a Gold Star, what a trooper!  He read his book, and played on the computer, and they let him lay in the "Lazy Boy" chair next to me.  I was the last patient to leave today, yikes!

I took a book my Aunt Amelia gave me to read, titled Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland.  I was able to read 2 chapters, but I think I will have to re-read them.  It was very hard to focus and concentrate today.  The best thing I took was my neck pillow and my prayer shawl that was given to me during my last treatments.  Most of my time was spent with my eyes closed or going to the bathroom.

I need to thank God and all my friends and family for praying for me to have the strength and courage to fight today, it worked.  God Bless you each and every one.  I'm ready to meet Neulasta tomorrow.  I have had this drug before, it is administered the day after chemo.  It is an injection to help boost my white blood cell count, help ward off infections.  I have a private word for that drug and it starts with a B...., fill in the blanks, folks.

One last note.  I received a Beauty and Fashion Newsletter today titled "What you need in your wardrobe,"  now that gave me a belly roll laugh!   All I need is good sweats, PJ,s and my favorite robe and slippers.






See everyone, I am still smiling!  Love you all!  (Sorry if I look a little "droopy," could not put a bra on today, port was still painful from surgery yesterday.)  So long for now.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Where did you find the time, energy and inclination to write this blog? I would have come home and crashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, I'm the little energizer bunny, hard to keep this little bunny down. Glad you are following me on the blog. I could not have done this with out you and Jean. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Hey Aunt Glenda, It's Patricia. What a long and eventful day you had! I hope it was not too rough on you and you are getting some rest. Maybe that's what all the benadryl is for, to knock you out when it's the worst. It sounds like you have a great partner there with you helping along the way! Stay strong, you don't look "droopy"!! lol I love you, big hugs!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, screw the bra. Let 'em roam free! Lookin' good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete