Friday, March 16, 2012

Cancer Hit The Curb Today

What a beautiful day God gave me today!  I was really expecting to have a lousy day going on past experience with the Neulasta injection I get the day after chemo.  The injection is for boosting my white blood cell count.  The only draw back is the side effects are lots of bone pain.  On Wednesday, the day I got chemo the nurse said, "don't forget to take your Claritin (yes, that is what I said, the over the counter allergy medicine), one hour before you come in on Thursday to get your Neulasta injection."  Well, Dr. G also told me to get the Claritin when I saw him.  I am always such a "Doubting Thomas," but thought, what the heck I am going to stop second guessing my doctor and nurses, they are always right.  So I did just what they said and took the pill yesterday.  I am to take it for two more days.

I woke up this morning and took those 5 awful Prednisone pills, yuck!  Ate my breakfast and said, I am going outside to pull weeds and clip around my perennials.  God gave us a beautiful rain last night, so the weeds were easier to pull up than usual.  Bill was busy with a workman.  We had to get a new hot water heater, so it was best I was not around anyway.  Bill kept me supplied with lots of water and even threw me a package of peanut butter crackers for energy!  I did do what I am supposed to do though; wore a hat, glasses, mask and two pairs of gloves, long sleeves, long pants and even my back brace!  I worked outside for several hours, with a few breaks on the porch.  I was having such a good time, my Mama and Grandma would be proud of me.  I love my flowers out in the yard.  I am amazed every year how they reward me with such beauty.  The peonies are coming up, love them!  The last thing I did before coming in the house was clean the bird bath.  Here is the proof, okay so this is not the best picture, but hey, I worked in the yard today!!






If any other cancer survivors are reading this blog and they take Neulasta, try the Claritin, it may just work for you as well.  I'm not saying that tomorrow might not be as good a day as today was, chemo has a way of systematically creeping up on you.  But, for today, I gladly accept each good day God decides to give me with all the Grace I can muster up.  So how about it Cancer, stay on that curb a little while longer!  Love to all of you that support me with your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Glenda, I am so thrilled to read your blogs, now that I am back in Tampa and can get to your blog. Super that you shopped, can't believe you did several hours (not just minutes!!) in the yard, and yes I do believe in angels from God as the man with brain cancer who spoke to you in the chemo room. The power of all our prayers is enormous, and i'm glad it helps you through whatever tunnels you face cause there's light at the end and your good days are so wonderful that you let us share. When God created you, he created something special. Best to Bill in his recovery. Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to look back at this post. It was such a good day, I had no idea what was in store for me two days later. But, I can say now that I have climbed that awful mountain and I am back in God's valley ready to keep fighting cancer any way that is possible. Love you.

    ReplyDelete