Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wings Of A Dove

Today was chemo day and I did not start off with a body full of perkiness.  Missed my second cup of coffee, not good.  Just a few minutes shy of reaching Westminster the violins started playing in my head and the river of tears started.  On any other given day in the past Bill would have chocked the emotion up to PMS!  But, oh no not today.  He is the best, started talking to me and walked me out of the river of tears.  Chemo went good today, no problems.  We walked out the door of the cancer center at 2:30 p.m. after starting at 8:45 a.m.!  Anyway, an amazing thing happened after lunch.  A young man, my guess he was in his early 40's, came in and sat in the chemo chair facing me.  The nurse hooked him up with his chemo and he proceeded to listen to his i-pod.  His wife left but came back later when he was finished.  He looked at me as I rolled myself and machine to the bathroom and back.  I smiled at him as I went by.  I know ya'll are saying okay already get to the point!  Okay, here is the point.  He finished before I did and he walked over to me and said, "May I ask what kind of cancer you have, so I told him."  He then told me he had a cancerous brain tumor, you could see the scar on his bald head and that the doctor told he had 6 months to live.  He then said that was 2 years ago!  This is what he said next, "Are you a Christian?"  Of course I said yes and he said he was listening to the Gaithers (gospel group) on his i-pod and he felt a strong urge to come over and tell me that I was going to be all right because  God was not through with me yet!  I told him thank you and God Bless You.  I did not even get that "Angel Messenger's" name, what was I thinking!  I did ask my nurse a little about him (but you know they won't volunteer much info because of HIPA and I get that), she just said they are a very nice couple.  Bill told me later that the "angel's" wife was standing to the side where I could not see her, smiling at her husband.  Brought tears to my eyes, but this time they were happy tears!  Here I am in my chemo chair.


I felt so good and it was such a beautiful sunny day.  Bill suggested we go outside for a few minutes to soak up some Vitamin D.  I put on my shorts and shades and beat him out the door!


I know what all of you are thinking, is that a beer she is holding, well yes, but it is a ROOT BEER!

So the message today is simply the words of WINGS OF A DOVE:
When troubles surround us, when evils come,
The body grows weak; The spirit grows numb.
When these things beset us, He doesn't forget us.
He sends down His love, On the Wings Of A Dove.

Hey, one last note, remember when I was griping about the 104 pounds, well today I weighed in at 104 and 1/2 pounds!  I guess those lead weights I put in my pockets worked!  Ha, Ha, just kidding I would not do that, but I even made myself laugh at the thought of doing it!  Love you all, sorry if I was a little chatty today, but you know when the thoughts are there they must come out.  God Bless You All!

6 comments:

  1. What a touching story today. Thanks for sharing. With you being so chatty today, I guess Bill didn't get much reading done! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are funny Jean, you know me too well. That is probably why when I go to bed early, Bill says, "I think I will stay up and read awhile!" Ha, Ha!!

      Delete
  2. I love the chattiness! What a great story! God definitely has more in store for you. Hugs and kisses. You are my angel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, I don't think it is all the drugs making me chatty, I think I come by it naturally just being a Hammer, it is part of my DNA! You remember what it is like when we all get together with Mama.

      Delete
  3. You are and always have been my angel. Love you so much Momma!
    We are on the beach this week, and I have been thinking about you both all day. No amount of sunlight, surf, and birdsong could distract me from your journey. I only wish you could be here with us to see all the various children playing in the waves. They enjoy it so!
    I just see Shark Week videos racing across my mind's eye, lol.
    Keith sends his love too. We miss you both terribly. Hugs and kisses xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, the beach sounds like heaven to me. But, I am like you, don't go swimming in it, only walk along the edge and pick up shells, love to do that. I know the salt air will be the best medicine for you to continue to get well. Breathe it into those lungs! I am so glad to see you comment. Writing the blog is therapy for me, but reading the comments are as well. Love you darlin, have fun and tell Keith I send my love to him as well.

      Delete