Thursday, March 8, 2012

Gone Baby Gone

I have felt like a dog shedding her winter coat for the last 5 days.  At first it was just a few strands and then each day there was more and more hair in my comb, and when I washed my hair, good grief the hair really came out when I combed it.  I was in a little denial about the hair losing thing, because it did not happen right away after my first chemo treatment; so I thought just maybe it won't happen to me.  Never second guess your oncologist, he said it would happen and it did.  Anyway, after 5 days of the shedding I went and had what was left of the thin hair shaved off.

I agonized over where to go for the "shaving."  No, no not my regular beauty salon, too many people, sometimes with small children and I just did not want the women looking at me, I know sounds funny.  But, the too many people and small children are a real concern for me because I have very few infection fighters, white blood cells right now.  So, I asked Bill about his barber.  Bill goes to a very small local (Westminster) barber shop.  We decided to be there around 9:00 a.m. this morning, so maybe there would not be many men there.  That turned out to be the best decision of the day.  I think God led me there, because no one was there yet, and Bill had discussed my situation with the barber last week when he went for a hair cut.  I hopped in the chair, all ready and what do I see on the wall in front of me, a large poster of the Ten Commandments and next to it is a good sized American flag.  I knew I was in the right pew!  Turns out the barber is also a preacher at the Westminster Wesleyan Church.  So going to Ken's Barber Shop this morning was a gift from God!  Enjoy the following pictures of the "event."



I think my daughter-in-law, Aimee would approve of my hat and I know Michael and Keith will approve of my earrings and pearls!  I even put on lipstick and Chanel No.5 parfum for the event!



I am okay with it all, just a little cold if I don't wear a hat.  I ordered a hat for sleeping from a cancer website, it came today, good timing.  I ordered the one with an angel on it, because I know I have lots of angels out there praying and watching over me and I thank each and every one of you, right after I thank God for all my blessings.  Thanks for listening and cheering me on.  Love to you all.

10 comments:

  1. OMG!! You are right I LOVE LOVE the hat. You look super stylish with the hat and the earrings and necklace. BUT I would expect nothing less.
    Hair or no hair you got style lady! No denying that. You are my hero. I love the attitude and the grace with which you took the plunge into shaving your head. You are beautiful and taking your hair away definitely won't change that. Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. Warms my heart. BIG HUGS Love you so much and miss you even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments mean more than you will ever know, love you Aimee. You are the "Jewel" in our family. We were blessed the day we first saw you and every day, month and year since that first meeting our feelings have never waned. Love you so much.

      Delete
  2. I have sat in that barber chair at least a hundred times, but I will never sit in it again without remembering you and your brave fight, and, yes, your awe-inspiring attitude through it all.
    BTW, you look great. Go girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means a lot to me Serge. I am keeping on, keeping on......
      Love you.

      Delete
  3. You are right about the pearls. Everything looks good with pearls, including hats. My old friend Jason used to call his toupee a hair-hat. I liked that way of thinking about it. A new and unexpected fashion adventure awaits you. Barbers were the doctors of the middle ages- another good reason to go to them (hold the leecbes). I know you do look quite fashionable in the hat. We love you! -keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you guys recognized the pearls. Elizabeth Taylor has nothing on me, I can wear bling with the best of them! Love you.

      Delete
  4. You look great Aunt Glenda, truly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, baby girl. You are a star to me, keep being the best mother you can be, it will pay off in your later years, trust me.

      Delete
  5. I just discovered how to get around your blog site, and discovered how you're doing day to day--duh. You are posting so regularly and giving all of us such a feel for your ups and downs and always that sense of humor and gratitude to Bill and loved ones and to God. God bless. Such a glamour shot after the haircut with the hat, jewelry. Thank goodness you have your good friend Jean there to do "girlfriend" things with, like quilting, and I'm so impressed that you're making homemade soup. I'm praying for every day to have some good things in them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Carol for following my blog. It is the only way I can truly express all my thoughts concerning how my battle with cancer is being fought. I need for my family and friends to know they can comment, the comments are like an injection of hope, and the cancer center has not come up with that kind of medicine yet! Michael and Keith gave me the jewelry, they know I like some BLING! Hope you and your family are doing well, we think of you often. God Bless you and Lewis!

    ReplyDelete